Located on Historic Old King’s Highway, The Compass Rose Inn was constructed in the 1730’s. The original structure was a two story Federal Style Building with a hip roof built by the Josiah Ryder family. Shortly after, it was acquired by Captain Joseph Eldridge, and for the next 100 years it was known as the Eldridge House.
In the 1820’s a house in Nantucket was floated over Nantucket Sound and placed on a foundation at the rear of the building. During the 1860’s Dr. Azariah Eldridge, then the owner, moved the house and added it to the main structure. At that time he also constructed the third floor with its mansard roof, and the doric portico in the front of the house giving it the present Victorian look.